Monday, June 22, 2015

Chili's

Location: Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan


Rating: Not great
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  $15 (including tip, yuck)
Payment:  Credit cards accepted (sometimes...occasionally they won't...), $$s only
Dishes: Boneless Buffalo Chicken Salad
English Menu:Yes
Smoking:No

 Yes, we have a Chili's on base.  It's location is the best thing going for it, being right at the top (northernmost) part of the base looking out over Tokyo Bay.  Otherwise, it's pretty yuck, so I don't eat there often.  It's also too far to walk, so it's usually a place I'll end up at like today, when I had to pick up my car from an oil change which happens to be right next to the restaurant.  I'll stop in to remind myself why I generally hate american chain restaurants.




Nothing I've had there has been good.  It's been...meh.  Actually, the first restaurant we ate at in Japan was this Chili's I'm sad to say.  We had just arrived at the Navy Lodge (next door) and were so tired we couldn't bring ourselves to walk all the way off base to find something to eat.  The bus system is extremely slow and it was late.  It's about a 30 minute walk from the base entrance to the Lodge, so Chili's it was.

 Today I decided to try something a bit lighter and went for the Boneless Buffalo Chicken Salad.  It was quite tangy, as was I guess appropriate, though the bacon was kind of like "bacon bits."  The salad was that pre-chopped romaine that restaurants can buy (stays fresh a reaaaaaly long time...) and was lacking in much taste.  Still, it was mountainous and filling.  Best thing you can say really...





Oh, one thing I hate is that this place really tries to be "all american" when it comes to service, which includes overly friendly waitresses who want to tell you their name, loooong waits for food I can prepare faster in my own kitchen, and the horrible plague that is the tip system.  Japan doesn't do tips (thank goodness) and to have to re-calibrate my brain for tipping is just plain annoying.


No comments:

Post a Comment