Friday, August 28, 2015

Champion Yakiniku

Location: Champion Yakiniku

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Dinner
Price:  2000 yen
Payment:  Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Bibimpap and bulgogi roll (4pcs)
English Menu: No
Smoking: No

Haneda Airport's International Terminal is one of my favorite airports of all time.  Up above the departure area are several levels of shops and restaurants, and everything is done with Edo-style architecture and flare.  It's all very new of course, but the restaurants are generally quite good and the vibe is very cool.  But hands down, my absolute favorite thing to get at Haneda whenever I have to go is the bulgogi maki (seasoned meat in a sushi roll) at Champion Yakiniku.  It's a very popular item that you can order to go as a meal on the airplane or in the car on the way home, which is how I've had it before.  Last night I had to pick up my wife and son at Haneda, so I went early to actually eat in the restaurant for the first time.






First of all, it's a yakiniku restaurant, and it looks like a really good one.  I wouldn't know for sure as I've never had any yakiniku there.  Instead, I went for the bibimbap dish (bulgogi with other veggies and an egg on rice) and 4pc bulgogi maki.  Both dishes came with the clear wakame (seaweed) soup common in Korean restaurants here.  Usually it's throwaway side dish with very little flavor, but this stuff was different!  It had great flavor and I was really glad I got two little cups of it!  The bibimbap was really good too, and there was an absolutely delicious chili paste at the table to put on top of everything to make it even better.  But still the star is the bulgogi maki, which consists of vegetables, bulgogi meat and other stuff wrapped in a seaweed/rice outside roll.  I think there is a hint of mayo in there too which gives it a great creaminess.  It is liberally covered with sesame seeds on the outside which give it a great extra taste.



One of these days I will eat the yakiniku, but for now, I love this place for the regular Korean food it has, especially that bulgogi roll.  I don't care if it isn't authentic, it's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment