Friday, August 21, 2015

Kanun

Location: Kanun

Rating: OK
Meal:  Dinner
Price: 1600 yen
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Duck and cold soba
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: Yes

I like cold soba.  I dislike hot soba, and I dislike udon in general.  Well...dislike is a bit of a harsh term..it's not my preference, but I'll eat it.  Heck I ate a hot soba dish I bought from 7-11 this morning (it was frozen, just reheat on the stove) for lunch.  You can usually get cold soba from any old Japanese restaurant, but some places specialize in the stuff.  Kanun is a soba/udon restaurant right on Blue Street between the HAC drugstore and the Bank of Yokohama.  It's down some stairs, but not all the way to the bottom, that's some izakaya chain.

Surprisingly their English menu is well written and lacking in the entertaining mistakes of some other places.  Other than an abbreviated drink section (they have way more than hot or cold sake), it seemed to match up to the Japanese menu pretty much.  I saw a duck soba dish and thought that sounded interesting so I got it.

It was ok I guess...the broth was actually hot though, which I was a bit disappointed by.  The noodles were cold though but when dipped they warmed up.  I don't know what it is but I much prefer soba noodles cold.  Something happens to the texture when they warm up.  Anyway, the duck itself was eh...I guess I don't love duck?  Oh well, it was something different and interesting for that.  Overall it wasn't spectacular but just ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment