Monday, August 24, 2015

Spice Magic Calcutta South Indian NishiKassai

Location: Spice Magic Calcutta South Indian NishiKassai

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  1290yen
Payment:  Cash only
Dishes: Keema dosa lunch set with "butter" milk (salty lassi)
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: Yes

A couple of weeks back I visited the Spice Magic Calcutta restaurant that is north west of Nishikasai station, and yesterday I visited the one that is located south east of the station.  The difference between the two is that the one to the north specializes in northern Indian cuisine, while the one to the south specializes in southern Indian cuisine.  Convenient!











Buttermilk or Salty Lassi
 Actually, they share a lunch special menu, so I could have had the same thing (the biriyani) but of course I wanted something distinctly southern, so I went for a dosa set.  There are 3 different dosa lunch sets, and I wanted meat so I got the one with a keema option.  It also came with some tandoori chicken, a couple of chutneys, a soupy curry like dish, a papad, and my choice of drink.  I asked for a salty lassi and got a confused look.  Luckily the Indian dude next to me (always a good sign) said I wanted a "butter milk" which was basically the same thing.  I took a chance and yes, it was.  It was delicious, with spices and cut up fragrant vegetables in there too.  It had a bit of a burn to it actually!








Delicious dosa!
 All of the flavors were there, and the dosa was delicious.  Really good stuff, though it did tend to be a bit on the salty side.  It was a bit crowded and smoking is allowed, so that's a bit of a negative.  Honestly, it wasn't better than what we can get at Royal Parasol in Hayama, but if we hadn't discovered that already, this place would get an Excellent rating.  As it is, it's Very Good, and I'm looking forward to bringing my wife and son there as they return from the US this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment