Saturday, September 3, 2016

Estekanah

Location: Estekanah

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  2.800 BHD
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Mahyawa stuffed with eggs, cheese and tomatoes, coffee
English Menu:Yes
Smoking: No


Ah Bahrain!  I have the privilege of living, working, and especially eating here for the next month!  This time my wife will come to visit for two weeks also, so I'm looking forward to taking her to the best places I've found here.  Yesterday I arrived in the morning and by lunch time I was feeling peckish.  I walked over to the newish mall (since I was here last year) called the Juffair Mall.  It's fairly small, but packs several restaurants I shall want to try eventually.  On the first floor was Estekanah which bills itself as a "traditional" restaurant, by which they mean Bahraini/Gulf foods.  The perfect spot to start my reviews, especially as they took credit cards.  I had not yet pulled any cash out yet.


I didn't want to eat too much so I went for the mahyawa at the waiter's suggestion.  According Wikipedia, mahyawa is a fish sauce native to Iran.  They use it with bread to make various mini pizzas that are reminiscent of crepes and chapati.  I had mine stuffed with cheese, eggs and tomatoes, but you can stuff it with a number of different ingredients.  Also I naturally needed to stay awake until bedtime so I had a coffee.


This place was really tasty!  I would love to return, and maybe I'll come back with my wife.  The waiter said I should really try their biryani next time.  I look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment