Thursday, November 10, 2016

Cafe Marine

Location: Cafe Marine

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  780 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Soup curry + rice
English Menu:No
Smoking:No


Housed in the building formerly occupied by Vapeswitch (which moved across the street), Cafe Marine is a new small restaurant run by a very friendly older gentleman, a former Japanese Navy diver.  They have a small menu with the usual Yokosuka Navy Curry, but additionally had a surprising soup curry that I had to try.


The soup curry was amazingly tasty!  With some large roasted vegetables (sweet potato, green pepper and carrot) along with a generous piece of curry paste covered and roasted chicken, it really hit the spot.  I did order a small rice after a while as I could tell I'd have lots of curry soup left over and dumping the rice in there was just the ticket.

The place is quite large, with 3 floors.  The main restaurant area is down stairs, the middle area is a large, chair filled area that is free to use as long as you buy a drink.  It includes a white-board and TV for those who might want to hold little study sessions, or teach English.  The upper floor is the roof, which is available, along with some barbecues for people to use.  I assume this would require a reservation.

He also mentioned that this evening he was doing a big custom dinner for several Japanese people, making nabe (hot-pot soup).  This requires a call ahead to make your order ahead of time I believe.

Overall, I quite like this place, and I really enjoyed my meal.  It's also nice that they are our neighbors as our apartment building is literally next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment