Thursday, January 19, 2017

Torikaya

Location: Torikaya


Rating: OK
Meal: Dinner
Price: 3120 yen
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Sukiyaki, rice, sake
English Menu: No
Smoking:  Yes


I was wandering about looking for something new in Yokosuka last night when I passed by what I swear used to be an Italian restaurant I hadn't gotten to yet.  But it was no longer an Italian restaurant and now looked like a new Izakaya.  The staff was welcoming and ushered me inside to the place, which was pretty much empty the entire time I was there.

Mandatory appetizer

They had a sukiyaki special which looked good, so I ordered that along with some high end sake.  The sukiyaki arrived in a large pot with sauce in it absolutely mounded with meat and vegetables.  They turned the gas on and left it to bubble for a while.  When it finally got hot, I found it so full I couldn't really do anything without broth spilling, so they came and took some broth away.  I had to order a bowl of rice as I didn't fancy just eating the meat and veg by itself.  I was a bit disappointed overall as the experience wasn't as enjoyable as when a cast iron pan is used and you add a little sauce and water at a time to keep things just a bit moist and then at the end all the evaporated goodness concentrates the flavor.  This was all soup and you just scooped it out, more like nabe than sukiyaki.



It was an ok meal, but not that great honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment