Thursday, May 4, 2017

Yakitori Furi

Location: Furi


Rating: Very good
Meal: Dinner
Price:  2000 yen
Payment: Cash only (I think)
Dishes: 5 piece yakitori special, sake
English Menu: Kind of (Japanese but with romaji)
Smoking: Yes


As a follow on to the unsatisfying meal at Manila Kitchen I walked down to the end of the block and saw a new restaurant called Yakitori Furi.  As I had some room left for a few sticks of chicken I figured I could knock two reviews out in one evening.

Sake

It's pretty small upstairs with only 3 tables and then counter seating, and there are only 3 people running things, but I've seen smaller spots.  They are quite welcoming to foreigners with an English speaker on staff.  The menu is oddly transliterated into romaji, but not exactly translated, so you could read it but not understand.  No problem for me, but for some you would have to rely on the waiter.

Five yakitori sticks

I figured I'd try out the "recommended" platter of five pieces and just have some water, but they told me I had to order something to drink, which is a bit odd...never had anyone do that to me here before.  Oh well...guess I'll have to have sake!  I didn't mind so much.

The food was quite good, well salted and tasty.  I had a stick of tsukene, hearts, gizzards, chicken thigh meat, and chicken skin.  There were some tasty dollops of something good on several of them.  I have to say I was pleased.  I'd like to go back and try some of the other items on the menu and I think my wife would feel comfortable there.

No comments:

Post a Comment