Sunday, June 25, 2017

Leegimbap

Location: Leegimbap

Rating: OK
Meal: Lunch for 3
Price: 13500 won
Payment: Cash only (pretty sure)
Dishes: 3 different kimbap rolls
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: No


One of our favorite Korean dishes is kimbap, basically Korean sushi rolls, usually without the raw fish, but with more veggies and other ingredients than are typically in Japanese rolls.  I first fell in love with them in elementary school when my Korean classmate would come to school with kimbap for lunch, while all I would get was some crummy P&B sandwich.  We would swap lunches often, and this even led to me being invited over to his house to stay where I got to eat more kimbap, much to my classmate's mother's delight.  Fast forward 30 odd years and turns out my son also loves the stuff.  He is a dorm student at the same school I went to in the Philippines, and these days most of the student body is composed of Koreans.  So naturally at his dorm, where he is the only un-mixed caucasian, there is plenty of Korean food, but especially kimbap.  On our recent trip to Korea, he really wanted to try some there and of course we were eager to as well.


One day after a long morning of touring the big palace grounds we got dropped off near Seoul station and decided to wander amid the office buildings looking for kimbap to eat.  As luck would have it, we stumbled across Leegimbap which purports to have "premium rolls".  We went in and were told to pick something from the glass case of pre-made rolls, which we did.  Only after we started eating did we realize we could have ordered off the menu which had some awesome looking rolls available.  As it was we were not terribly impressed with what we ordered.  They were ok, and the added potato kimchi and broth were delicious, but I think I may have rated it a bit higher had we tried the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment