Saturday, February 3, 2018

Shinki

Location: Shinki
Rating: Very good
Meal: Dinner for 2
Price: 3200 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Drinks and yakitori
English Menu: No
Smoking:  Even if no one is actually smoking, you will smell like yakitori when you leave


The menu is a bit difficult to make out...

A friend at work recommended Shinki in Yokohama as one of the best examples of yakitori he's ever had in Japan.  So I and another friend decided to try it out on Friday night.  The spot is tiny, with no sign.  When we arrived we were lucky and there were two empty spots at the bar next to each other, so we squeezed our way behind everyone else and sat down.


Sake
My friend ordered an ulongchahi and I had some sake.  Both were adequate.  We had been told to definitely try both the chicken skin and liver for sure, and we ordered a few other things as well.  Pictures below.  The overall impression was very good, the yakitori was definitely some of the best I've had.  If I were a huge yakitori fan, I might even rate this place Excellent, but I just can't get super excited about yakitori for some reason.  But even so, this was exceptionally good.

Chicken skin, crisp on the outside, soft (but not rubbery) on the inside.

Cucumber and miso paste

Liver...melts in your mouth

Rosu, fatty pork I believe

Motsu - innards of some kind

1 comment:

  1. I had the pleasure of recommending this place to a stranger recently! The yakitori is amazing and will make doubt what you normally expect when you eat yakitori.

    ReplyDelete