Thursday, January 11, 2018

Toromugi

Location: Toromugi
Rating: OK
Meal: Dinner for 2
Price: 2500 yen
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Miso katsu set, karaage and vegetable set
English Menu: No
Smoking: No


Up at More's City our favorite omu-rice spot Pommes has been replaced by a new restaurant named Toromugi.  It is a somewhat generic Japanese food place with some katsu, sashimi, nabe, and other random dishes.  Kind of like Ootoya.  Anyway, my wife had some time and accompanied me on my weekly quest to find a new restaurant and I knew a replacement for Pommes was in the offing, so we checked it out.

Miso katsu

The name of the place has "toro" in it, which is I believe a reference tororo, a sticky, goopy, slimy paste made by grating mountain yam.  It's not my favorite.  Mugitoro is made by pouring tororo over cooked wheat, so I'm guessing the name Toromugi is a play on that.  In any case, virtually every set meal comes with mugitoro as an optional side.  We did not participate.

Karaage and vegetable set

The sets also come with a choice of 3 types of rice, most of which have cooked wheat (mugi) added.  I went for the miso katsu, which was ok, if small.  The miso soup was underwhelming.  My wife's dish was a mix of a (very few) pieces of fried chicken (karaage) and some vegetables.  Neither of us was terribly impressed and would probably rather go to Wako if we were hankering for some fried deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment